Each month ICOM shares a call to action at its vigil. The items below are from our most recent call to action.
1. Contact your Senators and Representatives and ask them to oppose any budget deal that trades away asylee rights for military funding. The Biden Administration is considering a deal that caters to the most extreme anti-immigrant legislators in order to fund more war. Immigrant right to legal asylum should never be negotiable.
Sen. Amy Klobuchar: (202) 224-3244
Sen. Tina Smith: (202) 224-5641
2. Join the SARI Vigil at the Sherburne County Government Center ( 13880 Business Ctr Dr NW, Elk River, MN 55330) on Wednesdays at 3:30 pm. The current contract with ICE expires in April 2024 … let’s remind them that they don’t need to renew it!
3. Sign up to support the North STAR Act in the 2024 legislative session.
Learn more at northstaract.org
4. Attend North Star Alliance Advocacy Training at 5:45 pm on January 24 where you will learn what is in the North Star Act (and what isn’t), how it protects immigrants, and how you can speak to other people about the Bill and why it’s important to pass.
The training can be attended in person in Room 55 of the U of M Law School at Mondale Hall (229 19th Ave S, Minneapolis) or by zoom. If you are ready to help make Minnesota a state where all residents experience Safety, Trust, and Respect, join us!
5. Join Jewish Community Action, the University of Minnesota School of Public Health, and our partners in the Decriminalizing Communities Coalition at a screening of the documentary series “Beyond Walls” on January 25 from 4:30 – 8pm (food and resources at 4:30, event at 5:30). This documentary series explores the current state of mass incarceration and the prison industrial complex, and what this system means for families and communities. This event will also include background information on the public health implications of mass incarceration and a panel of individuals directly impacted by this system. Register here!
6. Support MN8’s campaign to help a disabled Cambodian mother retain custody of her children. Join the vigil at her final hearing on Tuesday, January 30 or donate here.